About Me

My photo
I have a unique family. I have been married now for 14 years, and we have produced two sons. My husband was diagnosed in 2002 with Sarcoidosis and Insulin Dependent Diabetes. Since then he has been a stay at home dad, while I go and bring home the bacon each day. Our oldest son Patrick has already earned numerous abbreviations behind his name. They include PDD-NOS, Mood Disorder – NOS, ADHD, and ODD. Our youngest son earned his first set of abbreviations last year, PDD-NOS. I like to consider myself MOM-NOS. Because I feel like I am still learning how to be a mom of “special” boys, still trying to figure out how to juggle a family and work, still trying to cope with my own mental issues of anxiety and mood swings. So here is my journey…

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Monday 20th


I received an email from the school today – wanting to discuss the problems my son is having in school today…
Welcome back to another year. It was great to see Patrick smiling while walking down the halls.
At this time, his team and I have some concerns that we would like to discuss with you so that we can be sure Patrick has a successful year.
This year I have noticed a couple things that are different with Patrick. In the middle of class he may whine, cry, or even refuse to complete tasks or assignments. Last year, I know he had difficulty with a couple of the teachers and missing work, but I have never observed these types of behaviors.
Are you available to meet with us on Monday, September 27 @ 8:00 to discuss a plan? If so, we also think it would be beneficial for Patrick to be in the meeting so he understands that we are all on the same page.

I typically do get an email like this or a phone call of some sort – Please help me with your child. Some years my husband and I actually take bets to see how long it will take for the newbie teacher to call us.
I don’t mind trying to help them, but at the same time I always feel that they are more qualified to handle him and his issues than I am. They have more resources available than I do. But they don’t really use them. Not sure why, I have thought all along that my child would be better off with a one on one aide then to make a teacher of NT kids who has 30 kids in her class, deal also with my son’s outburst. I feel for the teachers because my son can be a big handful to take care of, but yet also feel they bring it on themselves wanting to treat him like a NT child, whatever label you want to give my child the one I’m certain he is NOT is Nero-Typical.
So when I got home last night my son Patrick ran out to my car asking me if I hated him, or was mad at him. I’m like no Patrick I never hate you. He’s like did my teacher email you; I said yes, they did. He’s like why are you not mad at me. I’m like all they said is they needed to talk to me, what is up? Well he said he was crying at school most of the day and they had to call his teacher support (special ed) teacher in the room 3 times. The third time she called him a cry-baby and he got enraged at school. He said he even told the principal that he thought Mrs. L should be fired. He was very angry all night and afraid to go back to school today because he thought all of his teachers now hate him. He also was very hungry and wanted to eat everything. I’m afraid he is becoming more unstable, and DO NOT want to have to admit him back to the hospital. Please pray that this was just an off week.

No comments:

Post a Comment